Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On this date,


in 1943, Sophie Scholl was executed by the Nazis (as was her brother and another member of their group).

Sophie Scholl

Quite a good film, Sophie Scholl – The Final Days, was made about her arrest, trial and execution. I was convicted about a lot of my complacency by this film.

Would I have the courage to resist a group like the Nazi Party? Would I have the courage to die like this for a greater cause, in this case for freedom from a corrupt and murdering regime? What would my convictions require me to do? Do I simply mouth platitudes, or am I willing to go to death for them? A very strong film, indeed.

I should also mention that, after seeing the film, I read a fair number of books about 'The White Rose' and the Scholls and others. Such courage in the face of utter brutality and inhumanity!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really liked the movie. I read a book about them, too (just one, though).

James said...

Yes, this was during my phase of reading all I could about the Holocaust. It really is a good film, though.