Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Monday, November 24, 2008

A film by any other name...

I'll be interested in seeing this when it's out on DVD (likely at Blockbuster when they're selling them off for $6.00). The first time I remember seeing Daniel Craig in a film, at least seeing him in a part such that I would recognice him in the future, was in the film Laura Croft: Tomb Raider. He performed well, but everyone was pretty much overshadowed by Ms. Jolie in that bit of celluloid (well, digital content, anyway). I'm glad he was picked for the new Bond.

Quantum of Solace

So, Dictionary.com defines 'quantum' as:

"quantum  [kwon-tuhm]
noun, plural , adjective

–noun 1. quantity or amount: the least quantum of evidence.
2. a particular amount.
3. a share or portion.
4. a large quantity; bulk.
5. Physics. a. the smallest quantity of radiant energy, equal to Planck's constant times the frequency of the associated radiation.
b. the fundamental unit of a quantized physical magnitude, as angular momentum.

–adjective 6. sudden and significant: a quantum increase in productivity. "
and 'solace' as:

"solace   /ˈsol - is/
noun, verb,
–noun Also called sol-ace-ment. 1. comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort.
2. something that gives comfort, consolation, or relief: The minister's visit was the dying man's only solace.
–verb (used with object) 3. to comfort, console, or cheer (a person, oneself, the heart, etc.).
4. to alleviate or relieve (sorrow, distress, etc.)."
Essentially, an amount, or portion, of comfort. Now, wasn't that easy? What kind of a name is 'Quantum of Solace' anyway? I consider myself far from illiterate, but this was just a bit out there...

No comments: