Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Monday, October 26, 2009

An inspired work of art

Free Speech Personified: Norman Rockwell's inspiring and enduring painting

I've always liked this painting. Not because I'm a staunch defender of the U.S. Constitution but because of the strength and dignity of the main subject of the painting. I'm a big fan of realism, and though I tend toward realism that isn't sentimental (and some of Norman Rockwell's art could certainly be called that) this particular work evokes the exact emotion that I believe it is supposed to, not just the abstract idea of 'freedom of speech' but the courage and strength that are, of necessity, attached to that freedom...


No comments: