that one could read something on the 'net that spoke objectively about the negative aspects of the pre-Vatican II Liturgy and which acknowledges that there were things that were not always good.Responding to the Tablet
In each of the articles I read it seems to focus on a small number of older people and a large number of young people who could never have known pre-Vatican II days. They seem to be looking for that wonderful golden age, when all was right with the Church. As if it ever existed. They really need to read some Church history.
If the idea is to bring back the earlier liturgy and correct the problems that were attached to it (and admit there were problems in the first place) then I say fine. Each time a fan of the extraordinary rite talks about the Novus Ordo though, they pick on the abuses of some people and don't discuss the many, many liturgies that are life-giving and worshipful. They don't seem to acknowlege that that's even possible. And touch someone else at the sign of peace and acknowledge that I'm not in this Mass by myself with God? How horrible!
Bah! One side is as bad as the other...
1 comment:
Ah yes - in those days all I could do was stare at the stained glass windows and frescoes for some inspiration while everyone droned on in Latin.
Now I find myself in a simple church with no stained glass or frescoes and since I can understand the Liturgy - that and my fellow Christians is what I find myself focused on and celebrating. Allelulia!
Post a Comment