Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Thursday, August 07, 2008

A thoughtful editorial

Is Anyone Ready?

I obviously won't be voting for anyone in the U.S. presidential election. What I can't understand is why everyone points to Bill Clinton as the epitome of evil and a terrible, terrible president. Sure, he had an affair that he lied about. I think that's disgusting behaviour on anyone's part. History is showing that he wasn't the first to do this. A number of the presidents through history have done the same. At least he didn't lie about the reasons for dragging a country into a war that wasn't necessary and which has brought death to so many young Americans. At least he didn't help his business friends profit off the pain and suffering of others, in New Orleans and other places.

Like Jimmy Carter, who continues to be reviled as a terrible president, Bill Clinton is trying to help the poor and suffering in the world. When the others, the presidential 'heroes' (read Republicans), retire from office it seems all they do is bask in the glory of their past and continue to deal with their business cronies. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll take the people who try to do something good for the world over the other ones any day...

1 comment:

Polaris said...

That is one of the things I can't understand either: You can lie to start a war, costing hundreds of thousands of lives, run the economy into the ground, allow your cronies to enrich themselves at the expense of the people. Not to mention, show total incompetence and still not be impeached.

However, should you have sex..... That is truly the one thing that can bring a president down. And that is only fairly recently too: in the past, Presidents fathered illegitimate children, and carried on affairs of all sorts, and while the press is not quite silent, it certainly kept in office.

I have also felt that Jimmy Carter was never given a fair shake: he seems to be that rarest of all political birds: an honourable man. And that, perhaps was his true downfall, that and bad advice.

Politics, particularly American politics, a mystery to me.