Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wow!

I just heard a U.S. politician on the news commenting that the war in Iraq is now costing the U.S. government (and, in reality, the U.S. taxpayer) $5,000.00 per SECOND! Day and night, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. I can't picture numbers that large!

(We're paying less for our current involvement in Afghanistan, I'm sure. That doesn't justify it, though...)

2 comments:

Polaris said...

I believe that estimate to be on the conservative side. I've heard that the cost per second is double that: $10,000 per second.

James said...

Amazing! That is just so incredible. And we can't feed the hungry of the world (or our own countries) because that wouldn't allow them to fend for themselves, pull up their sock and take responsibility, etc., etc. Ludicrous.