Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'm stunned



I was driving down a street today when a new car, Chrysler 300 Magnum, drove up in the lane beside me, then pulled a bit ahead in that lane. When I saw her signalling I slowed down and let her change lanes in front of me. I almost had to stop as her lane was backed up and stopped. She had a sun roof, and I saw her put her hand up through it. I thought she was going to wave to thank me. She gave me the finger! Then she pulled into the parking lot of a store beside the street and as she was pulling in she had her window rolled down and her other arm out giving me the finger. I slowed down as I got by her to see what was going on and she had the most ugly, rage-filled look on her face that I've even seen. Somehow I was responsible for something? Her children were late for soccer? Some sales clerk didn't recognize her special status as a young person and unique in and of herself? Perhaps once again the world conspired to NOT name her queen of the world? Perhaps I didn't intuitively know she wanted to be in the lane in front of me so it's my fault. I don't know.

That very ugly and nasty look, scrunched up, scowling, mouthing epithets, a look that I've very rarely seen, is the look of road rage on a person with an incredible sense of entitlement. The world is hers, you'd better not plan on being in her way...


No comments: