Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Thursday, November 17, 2011

Young fools...

I have no sympathy for people who commit sexual abuse, with minors or people of the age of consent, but kids doing things like this need to give their heads a shake, for the very reasons the police state:

Teens in superhero garb confront online predators

I love art, I love illustration, I love comics, particularly now that they are collected into 'trade publications', which are most often referred to as 'graphic novels'. Having said that, I still appreciate the boundary between fiction and reality and I know that none of these characters are real, and I can't emulate them in any way in real life. More and more we're seeing people (mainly younger people) wearing fictional super hero costumes and taking the law into their own hands. Perhaps it's out of a sense of frustration with the law, a sense of powerlessness and helplessness, whatever. The fact is, they aren't these super heroes, they can't be these super heroes, and someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed trying to act like one of these super heroes. They need to get a better grip on reality, in my opinion...


No comments: