Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Sunday, November 20, 2011

Here's a good program

for us all to take note of:


Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola

Why am I recommending this?

I had a friend once, Lawrence, who went to Spokane to take a retreat from a Msgr. Rosage. It was a 30-day Ignatian retreat, and this was in the early years of Lawrence's faith life. He was truly, in his reserved way, on fire for God. (I'm sad to say that we had a bit of a falling out and, due mainly to my pride and selfishness, we 'made up' and continued our friendship. He died quite some years ago now, and I regret my intransigence.) Anyway, the point of this is that the Spiritual Exercises focus greatly on discernment and Lawrence displayed great discernment through his life from that point. He didn't fear death, and I'm sure he's singing in the choir of angels right now, so deep was his faith. I'm not saying that it started with his retreat, but I really do believe that the retreat helped him greatly along his path. I think it could help all of us...


No comments: