I just learned today that an old friend of mine, a very sweet old friend for whom I never lost my fondness though we lost contact for many years, has died in Toronto.We were high school friends, and in some ways best friends, during a period when both our lives were not going well. I don't mean that in an angst-y teenage way. It was real. Her sister, who she was very close to, died tragically in an accident that Gail was present at, and I was dealing with serious health issues at the time. We kind of bonded somehow and remained close for those years. I really liked her family as well and we spent many hours together at her home.
She left the city after high school, not wanting to stay where she had so many memories, and never returned until a few years ago. We lost contact as young people often do, I think. A few years ago when she was back in the city for the first time since high school she called me and we got together for a drink. I was touched that she would think to call me after all this time. She told me that, of all her old friends that she hadn't seen in years, I was the only one she wanted to contact to get together with. I was touched, and I got to meet her husband Glen and get together with some other old friends that I hadn't seen in a long while. Gail and I were able to at least communicate by Christmas cards and letters after that, and I had hoped to visit them the next time we were in Toronto. That's not to be now.
I think most of my sadness is for me. I've lost another dear friend. Another good part of my life to this point, my past (that place where I live more than is healthy for me), is gone. When I say to myself 'Poor Gail, poor Glen, poor Mrs. Guilmette' I'm really saying 'poor me'. Though I can never separate myself from my selfishness, still my heart hurts for her today, and for her family. And for myself. I'm very sad...
Rest in peace, Gail...
No comments:
Post a Comment