Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day of rest

I've decided that Sunday will be a day of rest for me and for the blog. I'll probably do just one post each Sunday, a nice piece of art (I like a pretty picture) or an edifying or encouraging (or discouraged, if I'm not feeling well) quote. Everyone needs a day of rest, even God rested after his week's labours...

"However, when God sends you spiritual comfort, accept it gladly and thank Him for it, but fully realize that it is God's mercy that sends it and not any deserving of yours. Do not be proud, presumptious or overjoyed; rather let this gift humble you and be wary and fearful in all you do; for surely that time will pass away and be followed by temptation.

When consolation is withdrawn, do not be despondent, but humbly and patiently wait for the return of God; for He can give you back grace in fuller measure. Those who are experienced in the ways of God know that there is nothing new or strange about this, for such reverses were suffered by the Saints and the ancient Prophets."
- Thomas A Kempis The Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 9, verse 4


No comments: