Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Friday, December 10, 2010

Veronique Poulin


SWMBO and I had the very pleasant privilege to attend a CD release performance by this person tonight. It was being held in a venue where we just held a book launch for a chapbook we had released earlier in the week.

I know Veronique from a local store where she works and I'm friendly with the rest of the staff. When she told me about the release I bought tickets for us. She's a young, bilingual woman who writes her own music and plays a number of instruments. What a show!

The first act was a friend of hers, another young woman, named Sarah Farthing. Sarah is a singer/songwriter in the English folk/indie tradition. She provided a nice introductory set and came back later to perform with Veronique and her group.

Veronique is a multi-talented musician with a terrific voice and a lovely, endearing stage presence. She writes and sings in both English and French, and is a very self-effacing, joyful young woman who captures your attention and holds it during her songs.Her musical talent really brings out an appreciation from the audience. People can tell that she's got a great deal of talent.

Her back up musicians were very good. A bassist/harmonica/guitar player, a drummer (playing a very interesting percussion box I had to take a look at after the show) and a back up singer/shaker player (who had a wonderful voice herself!). They were all young, but young is relative because everyone under 30 looks young to me. I can't judge age anymore.

Of course, we bought a few CDs, for ourselves, and for a gift.

We knew a few people there, and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. It was a great evening, and a great start to the weekend!


No comments: