Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I had

a pleasant experience a while ago.

I keep my library database on a site called Library Thing. It's a great site, it allows me to have our book collection available any time I have a 'net connection, and, as a member, you can enter your name in to win books each month, the only requirement is usually to write a review of the books you've received. There's lots of competition for some of the books, and some are only available regionally, but I've been successful twice now. I'm still waiting for the second one to arrive. These are often advance copies or early copies before general distribution, some from small presses and some from major presses. It's a great place for bibliophiles to spend their web time. Back to the original topic.

Anyway, I posted a short review of 'The Last Western' on the site and I found another fan of it there, and after lots of back an forth discussion I sent him my badly worn paperback copy of the book. Seeing as the books are now going for over a hundred and fifty dollars in good condition (with grading as in, poor, fair, good, very good excellent, new), it's a hard book to find. I kept the library reject copy that I have. At least now two of us can enjoy the book. There's a fellow who reads my blog who is a fan of Thomas Klise's work too, but I believe he has a copy. It's a small world.


No comments: