Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Conversion

in it's usual form

(and it's not St. Paul's sort...)

The Way of Conversion

Some of us may have had what we thought was a 'road to Damascus' conversion, but what it really was turns out to be more of an 'Ah-ha!' moment, after years of preparation. That moment when everything we learned made sense.

Without lessening or degrade the experience I had of that nature, because God's hand was in what I experienced, but I must admit to a very similar experience when I was studying Aristotle's Physics in a classical philosophy class at university. I was beating my head against my books trying to understand his thinking, and failing dismally. All of a sudden, part of the way through the year, the metaphorical light bulb came on one day all of a sudden. I finally grasped his thoughts in the Physics and went on to win an award for philosophy that year. Something in my brain finally switched and I had an 'Ah-ha!' moment. God allows that to happen to us, too...

Whichever way it occurs, I pray for the experience for everyone...


No comments: