Well, it didn't take long. My dear friend Anonymous was over for Boxing Day dinner with us yesterday, showed me the new Kindle 2, and it only took me a few hours to research it and order one. The expected delivery day is December 30, though with Christmas shipping and customs it may take a bit longer. It's exciting!Ultimately, I know that I'll end up buying a different one down the road, perhaps another Amazon model. The digital text industry is still in its infancy, and competitors are adding things to their models that Amazon would be foolish not to add to theirs. I'm sure that after some makes (such as the Sony eReader and the Barnes and Noble Nook) prove their popularity due to their options and their ability to read different file formats, that Amazon will make some changes to theirs. One thing that is starting to show up is the ability of some readers to read file formats of local digital library books and some allow you to lend your digital books. Some read Google Books file format. If these things prove popular (and, given time, I think they will) then Amazon may have to follow along and add these things to their readers. They'll move from the innovators and leaders to being the followers. It's not a bad thing. They have such a huge user base that it will still pay off for them.
Until that time, I'm just waiting impatiently for my own Kindle 2 to show up at my door! Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment