Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Friday, September 18, 2009

They should all be simple...

...and inexpensive.

Frugally wed: Couples find many ways to pare costs for the big day

I would love to see this catch on and become the norm. With SWMBO and I, the biggest cost was the meal - and only a meal for 8 as that was all the people in the wedding party. I wore a nice sports coat and slacks, SWMBO bought a nice, new, normal dress at a discount fashion place. Her flowers grew in the back yard.

It's a shame to see families paying so much - couples going into huge debt right at the start, parents having to pay large sums to cover wedding costs - all for what is considered by many to be "the most important day in a bride's life".

If the wedding day is the most important day in a bride's life, which is the most important for the groom? If it's the same day, the wedding day, what about all the days after the wedding? Getting along and caring for each other for one day is easy. Doing it for the rest of your life is much more difficult. Consequently, I disagree about the most important day and the huge costs and extravagant productions, because I think that filling the start of your life together with business, debt, dreams that can't be lived up to and unfulfilled expectations, are a perfect way to make that special day the start of the downhill slide to, well, where half of all marriages end up - a lawyer's office.

Sorry about that. My rant is over. I just hate to see people getting their priorities so skewed...


No comments: