Silent Servants...

Silent Servants...

... of the Used, Abused, and Utterly Screwed Up.

A Secular Franciscan looks at the world...
with a more jaundiced eye than ever...
and lots of ellipses for you to fill in the missing text...
(with thanks to Thomas S. Klise for the title)



Tuesday, February 13, 2007

More Chavez

Venezuelan archbishop calls for Chavez to stop posturing and address urgent problems

The Archbishop is right. And Socialism is as much of a disaster as a political system as Capitalism is. Still, in Latin America, you didn't hear this sort of hue and cry under right wing governments. I think the Church leaders knew that if they spoke out they'd end up like Msgr. Óscar Arnulfo Romero y Galdámez.

Forgive my generalities and cynicism and, as always, I'm open to correction, but I don't believe there has been this sort of vocal criticism under right-wing dictatorships whose leaders have been trained by the School of the Americas. Perhaps church leaders are becoming more courageous. I believe Msgr. Romero is a saint.

No comments: